Becoming an American citizen is the culmination of a dream for countless immigrants from throughout the world. But it does not happen overnight. The privilege of attaining citizenship is often a long journey that requires significant effort. But with the right immigration lawyer on your side, the process becomes much easier. My name is Gloria Cardenas and I am a Salt Lake City citizenship attorney. For 26 years, I’ve had the pleasure of successfully representing countless men and women who have realized the American Dream. Over the years, the legal team at Familia America is proud of our record of helping many hard working people achieve their goal of attaining citizenship by utilizing a personable and comprehensive approach.
Requirements for Citizenship
The immigration legal team at Familia America in Salt Lake City can provide several solutions to help immigrants obtain United States citizenship. Before a person can fill out an Application for Naturalization, they must fulfill some basic requirements. From the time a client schedules their initial consultation, we will be in your corner throughout the process. Because the process can sometimes get complicated, it is important to seek assistance from a Salt Lake City citizenship attorney with the knowledge and legal resources to help. First, let’s go over the basic requirements.
- Age: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and must have a green card to prove they are the permanent resident of the United States.
- Residency: After an applicant has completed their Application for Naturalization, they must prove permanent residency in the United States for at least five continuous years. The applicant must also prove they have not left the country for more than one year or more prior to filing. If permanent residency status was obtained through a spouse who is an American citizen, they must prove they are still living with their spouse.
- Constitution: The applicant must prove they are familiar with the United States Constitution and are willing to abide by its laws and principles.
- Language Requirements: The applicant must demonstrate they can speak, write and understand English at a basic level. However, if the applicant suffers from a mental or physical impairment that prevents them from properly learning the language, they may be exempt from the language requirement.
- Knowledge of Government and U.S. History: Applicants for naturalization will be required to take a civics exam to demonstrate their knowledge of the United States government structure and basic American history. However, applicants with a physical or mental impairment are exempt with documentation from a medical doctor. Older applicants are given a more basic exam during their naturalization interview.
- Moral Character: Applicants must have a clean record without any conviction of felonies for three to five years prior to applying for citizenship.
- Oath of Allegiance: During this final step the of the process, the applicant must swear to obey all state, local and federal laws, support the U.S. Constitution and remove any foreign allegiances.
Contact a Salt Lake City Citizenship Attorney Today
The goal of becoming an American citizen can seem daunting for many immigrants. The laws of naturalization can sometimes be confusing. The legal team at Familia America is committed to placing the interests of our first to help them achieve their goals. To learn more how a Salt Lake City citizenship attorney can help, contact the law offices of Familia America to schedule a consultation today.