We represent clients from all 50 states and can meet by phone, WhatsApp, or ZOOM video conference. Click here to contact us (bilingual)

Fiance Visa Attorney

Book Appointment

K-1 Visa

Romance can happen anywhere. Countless Americans have met the love of their lives while traveling, working, serving a mission or studying abroad. When that romance develops into a special long-term relationship, it does not have to end once a person returns to the United States. If you are an American citizen and looking to bring your significant other to this country for marriage, a K-1 fiancé visa can make your dreams come true. Also known as a fiancé visa, the K-1 allows your fiancé to come to the United States to get married. My name is Gloria Cardenas and I am a fiancé visa immigration lawyer in Salt Lake City. A K-1 fiancé visa gives couples 90 days to get married after arriving in the US. Once married, your fiancé must also apply for a Green Card within two years of marriage.  Over the years, the immigration lawyers in Salt Lake City at Familia America are proud to have brought many couples together by helping them obtain a fiancé visa.

A Young Happy Couple
Middle Age Hispanic Couple Smiling while having their Breakfast

How a Salt Lake City Fiancé Visa Attorney Can Help

From the time a client schedules their legal consultation, the legal team at Familia America will find you a fiancé visa attorney that will work with you and your fiancé to navigate through the legal process. We utilize a personable and comprehensive approach to ensure your paperwork, and preparation is completed as quickly and accurately as possible to ensure the best possible results. The application for a K-1 visa involves two major steps. First, paperwork (Form I-129F) must be filed with the United States citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in the United States. Once it is approved, a Form DS-160 is filed and your petition for a K-1 is then sent to the U.S. embassy or consulate in your fiancé's native country. Your fiancé is required to undergo a medical exam, a background check and attend an  interview at the U.S. embassy/consulate.  Once approved, your fiancé can enter the U.S., marry you and start the green card application.  His or her children under 21 and unmarried at the time the visa is approved, can also enter the U.S. at the same time, or can follow their parent later.  Your fiancé (and children) can work legally in the United States on the fiancé visa, and after a work permit is issued when the green card application is filed.

Acquiring a K-1 fiancé visa usually takes ten to twelve months (the processing times keep changing). If you are needing a waiver, this process could extend an additional year. To process your K-1 fiancé visa application as quickly as possible, it is vital to seek assistance from an experienced Salt Lake City fiancé visa attorney with an extensive track record for success like the lawyers at Familia America.


Frequently Asked Questions About Fiancé Visas

Obtaining a K-1 fiancé visa can sometimes get complicated. Fortunately, having an experienced fiance visa attorney on your side can make the process much easier. Before you can help a fiance apply for their K-1 visa, it is important to know the basic requirements.

  • You must be an American citizen
  • You must have met your boyfriend or girlfriend in person within the past two years (unless there is a religious or custom against it)
  • You and your significant other must intend to marry within 90 days of the fiance’s arrival in the United States
  • The petitioner must meet the minimum financial requirement
  • Both parties must be legally free to marry

Technically yes, but you’re going to be subject to some scrutiny. You have to let officials know why you will be visiting and why you intend to return back to your country to continue the process. Specifically, officials will want to know if you have obligations such as a job (which could require a work letter), if you have children, parents, or other obligations in your home country.  We at Familia America can guide you through this process.  We have great success.  

First, not having a good fiancé visa lawyer and the right documentation will make it extremely difficult for you to get through the visa application process successfully. Other issues that could cause a K1 Visa application to be denied include criminal convictions or prior immigration violations, such as getting caught at the border or you’ve been deported at the border. Also, your application could be denied if you are considered to be a public charge. One of the things our legal team will do is perform a detailed Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) audit where we find out all of this information and file the appropriate waivers.

No, The fiancé does not have to attend the  interview.  Your relationship has already been approved by the Form I-129F.   

Yes. Children that are unmarried and under twenty-one (21) years old are included in the Fiance visa.  They may enter with your fiance or follow to join him/her later.  They must be under 21 and unmarried at the time he/she enters the United States.  Time is of the essence in many cases.  If your fiance's child is 21 or older, once your fiance becomes a lawful permanent residency, he/she may file an application for an immigrant visa for his/her child.  

Contact a Salt Lake City Fiancé Visa Attorney at Familia America Today

Attorney Gloria Cardenas brings more than 30 years of experience in immigration law to help protect the rights of clients and their family members. She and her knowledgeable team at Familia America work diligently behind the scenes to help process fiancé visa applications as quickly as possible. To learn more, contact the legal professionals at Familia America in Salt Lake City and schedule a consultation to discuss your case.

Contact Form

Follow Us On Tik Tok!