We represent clients from all 50 states and can meet by phone, WhatsApp, or ZOOM video conference. Click here to contact us (bilingual)

ASYLUM Attorneys

Book Appointment

How to Seek Asylum

Seeking asylum in the United States is available every year to people who come to the United States seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution in their home country due to: Race, Religion, Nationality, Membership in a particular social group, and Political opinion. Oftentimes winning asylum in the United States takes more than simply submitting your personal statement, and that is why it is recommended that you seek an attorney who is experienced in presenting strong country conditions, reports, and expert declarations that support your reasons for seeking asylum.

You may file this application if you are physically present in the United States, and you are not a U.S. citizen. To apply for asylum affirmatively or defensively (if you are in Removal Proceedings), file Form I-589 Application for Asylum and For Withholding of Removal within 1 year of your arrival to the United States. You may include your spouse and children who are in the United States on your asylum application at the time you file or at any time until a final decision is made on your case. To include your child on your application, the child must be under 21 and unmarried.
Pedestrians Crossing Us mexico Border Into Tijuana Mexico
Woman Holding Application Form

After Applying For Asylum

Once your Asylum Petition is received, you may file for an employment authorization so that you can work in the United States while your application is pending. Your family members that are included in the asylum petition may also apply for employment authorization.

If you are granted asylum and your family members are residing outside the United States, there is a process that will allow them to enter the United States on a visa related to your approved asylum petition. If your family members that were included in your petition are inside the United States they will be granted asylum as well.

After one year as an asylee and residing in the United States, you may apply for Lawful Permanent Residency. Your family members included in the asylum petition, may also apply for Lawful Permanent Residency.

Contact a Salt Lake City Fiancé Visa Attorney at Familia America Today

Attorney Gloria Cardenas brings more than 30 years of experience in immigration law to help protect the rights of clients and their family members. She and her knowledgeable team at Familia America work diligently behind the scenes to help process fiancé visa applications as quickly as possible. To learn more, contact the legal professionals at Familia America in Salt Lake City and schedule a consultation to discuss your case.

Contact Form

Follow Us On Tik Tok!