A green card gives you official immigration status in the United States. It allows you specific rights, such as the ability to live and work in the country, and provides a path to citizenship.
There are several ways to obtain a green card, but knowing which is the best option and how to navigate the unique procedures for each one can feel overwhelming. Mistakes can easily lead to prolonged timescale and a higher financial cost.
With 29 years experience reuniting families, Gloria Cardenas and the legal team at Familia America are ready to help you through the process of getting a green card.
Who Is Eligible To Obtain A Green Card In San Jose, CA?
- There are two ways to obtain a green card in San Jose: to be sponsored by employers or to be sponsored by family members.
The three main types of family sponsoring include:
- By an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen. This includes spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents of the petitioner.
- By a family member in a preference category. Several other family members, like brothers and sisters, may also be able to sponsor a green card. See the preference list here.
- By a family member who is a green card holder.
The four main ways to be sponsored by an employer include:
- A job offer with a filed I-40 form. The I-40 form is submitted by the employer and approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The applicant will then receive further instructions from USCIS to continue the green card application.
- Self-petition by “aliens with extraordinary ability”. This is an exceptional circumstance usually awarded to those with advanced degrees or with skills in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. Click here to read more about the eligibility requirements in this category.
- Investment in a job-creating enterprise. For immigrants who plan to invest in a commercial enterprise that will benefit the U.S. economy, green card status may be awarded through the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program.
- Employment in a “special category” job. Foreign workers who are skilled in a specialized area, such as religious workers and members of the armed forces, may be granted a green card through the EB-4 visa.
The application process can be complex and time-consuming. With a green card lawyer on your side, you’ll know the best way forward toward success.
COVID-19 Update: We are ready and willing to provide consultations to potential and current clients on the phone or by ZOOM video conference. We have created systems specifically to handle the immigration challenges you are experiencing during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here to contact us.
Bringing Families Together in San Jose
There are more than three million immigrants with green cards in San Jose. Each one faced the challenges of the process and is now living in the land of opportunity. Whether your case is straightforward or complicated, Gloria Cardenas and Familia America will find the best solution.
Protect your opportunities, timeline and investment with a licensed attorney who represents immigration clients across the U.S. and around the world.
Contact a San Jose Green Card Attorney Today
The potential for mistakes on the application is high and can lead to setbacks. Equip yourself with the advice and assistance from an experienced legal team who cares.
If you’re wondering how to obtain or renew a green card in San Jose, schedule a consultation today.