Will I Lose My Green Card If I Get Divorced?
There are many circumstances in which you might actually lose your green card after divorcing a U.S. citizen. See how we can help keep your residency status.
Familia America Immigration 801-656-9605
Redwood Professional Plaza 6243 South Redwood Road, Suite 235, Taylorsville, UT84123
COVID-19 Update: We will continue to meet with potential clients and clients in office, on the phone, or by ZOOM video conference. Click here to contact us.
We can take your call from 9am-9pm MST, Mon-Sat

Will I Lose My Green Card If I Get Divorced? (Explained By Attorneys)

May 25, 2018 Familia America Green Card

The short answer is “no” unless you entered the marriage with U.S. citizens in bad faith. What it means is that if you are foreign national and you got a green card after marrying a U.S. citizen, you do not necessarily lose your legal immigration status in case you get divorced.

But it is not that simple. There are many circumstances in which you might actually lose your green card after divorcing a U.S. citizen. We asked our Salt Lake City green card attorney at the Familia America Immigration law firm explain how divorcing a U.S. citizen affects your immigration status.

Obtaining a green card through marriage

Let’s review an example. U.S. citizen named A. marries a foreign national named B. After the marriage, A. files a petition for B. and the latter becomes a Lawful Conditional Resident. B. is not yet a Lawful Permanent Resident, as he needs to wait two years before filing a petition to become one. This 2-year period provides U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) time to assess the validity of A. and B.’s marriage.

What happens to B. if he divorces A. before the 2-year period passes and before he gets the chance to become a Lawful Permanent Resident? Contrary to the popular belief, divorce alone does not automatically nullify the Lawful Conditional Resident’s green card.

Do you lose your green card after divorce?

Our best green card attorneys in Salt Lake City and elsewhere in Utah explain that you may actually lose your immigration status obtained through marriage to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident only if USCIS can prove that you entered into that marriage in bad faith.

But if you got married in good faith and you get divorced or separated from a U.S. citizen or permanent resident before these two years pass, you may still be able to use your conditional green card to file a petition to remove the conditions on residence and become a Lawful Permanent Resident.

However, you might require the legal help from an experienced green card lawyer in Salt Lake City, especially in the era of strict anti-immigration policies introduced by U.S. President Donald Trump and his administration. If USCIS has any reason to doubt that the divorce or marriage itself were not genuine, you will most likely lose your immigration status and may even face deportation.

Can divorced green card holders become permanent residents?

Even though U.S. citizens are required to file a petition for their spouse to become a Lawful Permanent Resident jointly after the 2-year period, the conditional resident has a legal right to file Form I-751 separately after a divorce or separation.

Be warned, however, that USCIS will most likely spend more time reviewing your petition, as it does with petitions filed separately by conditional residents after a divorce or separation as opposed to those filed jointly by green card holders and their U.S. citizen spouses.

The only legal way USCIS has to deny your petition to become a permanent resident after a divorce is if it can prove that the marriage was entered into in bad faith. In other words, if you entered the marriage for the purpose of bypassing U.S. immigration laws and fraudulently obtaining a green card, you will face deportation.

Green card through spouse’s employer

Let’s review another example. Let’s imagine that an individual named A. is sponsored by his employer for a green card, automatically making his spouse B. and their child under age 21 eligible, too. While B. and their child are also eligible to become green card holders even though A. is the employee and primary applicant, if divorce occurs before the approval of B.’s application for a green card, B. will no longer be eligible to obtain a green card.

Make sure you understand how U.S. immigration law works before getting divorced or separated, as there is a huge risk that you might lose your green card or even get deported. Contact the Familia America Immigration law firm to speak about your particular case. Get a consultation by calling at 801-656-9605 or complete this contact form. Se habla Espanol.

Share us with