It’s no secret that President Trump has been outspoken about his views on immigration, with his pledge to build a wall between the United States and Mexico being just one of his more memorable statements. Although this concept proved highly unpopular amongst most Americans, there’s a core group of Trump supporters who are most definitely in favor of it and continue to urge the President to go ahead with the plan. On January 30, Trump made a speech which focused on the “loopholes” allegedly allowing dangerous criminals to enter the US, and how a border wall would help eradicate this problem, but offered something else in exchange for the wall – legal status for “dreamers”.
Who Are These “Dreamers”?
Dreamers, used in this context, refers to younger undocumented immigrants, who were brought into the United States as children. According to Trump’s proposal, around 1.8 million “dreamers” could have a path to citizenship. Should the scheme come to fruition, applicants would need to demonstrate good character and meet both education and work requirements before being allowed to begin a 12-year journey to full US citizenship. This is just one of four pillars of Trump’s recently announced immigration plans, with the other three being:
- Tougher border security, enabled by the addition of a border wall between the US and Mexico
- The end of the diversity visa lottery
- The end of family reunification visa categories or, as President Trump referred to them during his address, “chain migration”
According to analysis, these proposals could cut legal immigration by up to 44%, although it remains to be seen whether even this is enough for the more hardline members of the party.
Need a Family Immigration Attorney in Salt Lake City?
Here at Familia America, our decades of experience in dealing with immigration cases mean we’re practiced at even the most complex aspects of immigration law. The various cases we’ve successfully work on include:
- Employment visas
- Fiancé visas
This list is nowhere near being exhaustive – we are confident we can skillfully and adeptly identify the best immigration route for you and your family, and pledge to do our utmost to make it work.
Don’t let media reports and rumors deter you from seeking help in remedying your immigration status. We agree wholeheartedly that the current immigration system is deeply flawed and works to the detriment of people like you, but there are still options for illegal immigrants in Salt Lake City and elsewhere in the United States.
You came to America with a dream and we are committed to doing what we can to ensure you realize it, whether it relates to your family, career, relationship, business, or other goals. We have plenty to offer you, including:
- Advising on the most appropriate type of visa
- Assisting with the visa application process
- Helping you to overcome obstacles you may encounter on your journey to securing a visa
- Advising on the best way to be admitted to the US, and how to retain legal status afterwards
- Navigating the road to US citizenship with you
- Guiding you through any aspect of the immigration process