U.S. President Donald Trump has unveiled a new immigration order that suspends the granting of asylum to migrants who cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally for up to 90 days.
Trump has tightened the immigration asylum rules against the backdrop of criticism and indignation from immigrant advocacy groups. The new immigration order was signed by President Trump on Friday, following the resignation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the Republicans increasing control on the Senate as a result of the Nov. 6 midterm elections.
The new immigration order has come into effect on Saturday, November 10, and is supposed to suspend the granting of asylum to migrants who cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally. The Trump administration has repeatedly explained that the immigration order is designed to encourage migrants to present themselves at official ports of entry in order to qualify for asylum.
Why the new immigration order signed by Trump is bad news
“But the Trump administration’s new hardline immigration policy is outrageous for several reasons,” says our Salt Lake City family immigration attorney at Familia America Immigration. First and foremost, given that the immigration order has been signed by Trump just days ahead of the migrant caravan’s arrival from Mexico, the Trump administration is most likely doing this to deliberately slow the processing of migrants at U.S. ports of entry. Thus, migrants will have to wait for days or even weeks to request protection.
The new order will be effective for 90 days or until the governments of the U.S. and Mexico reach a consensus enabling the latter to turn back asylum-seekers who had crossed the U.S.-Mexico border, whichever comes first. So far, talks between the U.S. and Mexico about the migrant caravan at the border have yielded little to no results.
“Given that the Trump administration has used the same level of authority to justify the new immigration order as it did with its scandalous travel ban in 2017, the new policy will most likely be challenged by U.S. courts,” says our experienced family immigration attorney in Salt Lake City.
Trump loses a legal battle over its plan to end DACA
Immigrant advocacy groups have condemned the new immigration order unveiled by President Trump, calling it outrageous and arguing that it goes against existing U.S. law and offers unfair restrictions for asylum-seekers fleeing persecution and violence in Mexico.
The Trump administration has been preparing for the arrival of the migrant caravan from Mexico for several weeks now. Shortly before the midterm elections on November 6, the Trump administration sent thousands of U.S. troops to secure the U.S.-Mexico border.
The new immigration policy comes just a few days after President Trump suffered a major setback when a federal appeals court in California rules that the U.S. must continue the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which offers deportation protections for individuals who entered the U.S. as minors and had either entered or remained in the country illegally.
Trump has been trying to end DACA, the program that was introduced by former President Barack Obama, for more than a year, but the Trump administration has lost this major legal battle. Nonetheless, President Trump is still hoping to cancel the program, which protects hundreds of thousands of Dreamers, and has even called the federal appeals court’s ruling “good news,” arguing that his administration would now be able to present the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.
During Donald Trump’s presidency, it is becoming increasingly difficult to come to or live in the U.S. as an illegal immigrant. Get a free consultation from our Salt Lake City family immigration attorney and speak about your particular situation. Call our offices at 801-656-9605 today.